Friday, February 23, 2024

BARON - Beneath the Blazing Abyss review


 

BARON - Beneath the Blazing Abyss

Transcending Obscurity Records


As a fan of old school Finnish death metal, and yeah I've got a collection of vinyl & CDs, I'll lay out my not so humble opinion here. With the exception of a few bands the majority of early Finnish DM was just copying from the Swedes. And to make it worse some cool bands went goth. With that said there's probably a few people I know and do business with in Finland who are probably pissed off at me right now for saying that. But hey people you know it's true because I've said it before.


So with that said here we have the debut album by this Helsinki act who take the death metal influences of old & the new, add in some psychotic youthful enthusiasm and run with it. If this was a US band I think it would probably be more metalcore. Now of course what makes this band cool is that they're totally into the crunch of the Boss HM-2 pedal sound. Add to that some whammy bar soloing from hell. And to make matters insane enough they have a touch of cool atmosphere. The vocals are total aggro as well.


This is like some youngsters blasting CARNAGE and DISMEMBER to full hilt. Then add in some bulldozer hardcore singing and then run through brick walls. Which is what BARON does on this their full length debut. I didn't find the final cut, "Swallowed by Fires Beneath" to be true to it's title. Actually it sounds like an atmospheric throwaway. Now the song which precedes it, "Hands of Sin", is the absolute face ripper of a song on this release. BARON's other diabolical worthy comes with "At the Dawn of Damnation" and "Bound to the Funeral Pyres". Both of which are long songs which capture this bands depth and attention to the ways of the past.


Liking this is not a gamble to say the least. I'll expect their next album will incorporate far more interesting songwriting chops. For now I think this is pretty cool. And for people in my own country I'll tell ya these Finns do metal not core. Nuff Said.


https://tometal.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://barondm.bandcamp.com/album/beneath-the-blazing-abyss


No comments: