Saturday, February 17, 2024

JIM JONES AND THE KOOL-ADE KIDS - Trust Me reissue


 

JIM JONES AND THE KOOL-ADE KIDS - Trust Me reissue

Dark Descent Records


OK this reissue came out in December of 2023 but I'm talking about it now because this is personal history for me. I saw this Michigan band back in their late 80's heyday (could've been the summer of 1986 or 87) when they were on tour. Some friends and I took a road trip to see em. They were supposed to play at a local club but that show was cancelled. So we hit the road and saw them play a show inside a karate studio in a town at the beach. I never got their album. Instead a friend recorded the album to a cassette tape for me. In fact I still have the tape.


So what was this band all about? Well nowadays I think of em as DRI meets CELTIC FROST and you can slam dance to it. This was the late 1980's with bands who might've come up through the  hardcore scene. But they didn't follow the simplistic punk musical playbook that plenty of bands in the underground thought they had to do in order to be liked. One listen and you could tell these guys liked some VENOM, SABBATH and speed metal. But for the most part these guys were fucking heavy before the onslaught of death metal or doom.   


This is a rare one to say the least originally coming out in 1986 (aka: when you were still in your dad's balls). I guess the question is why would a bunch of friends and I travel to see a band called JIM JONES AND THE KOOL-ADE KIDS? Well in all honesty a friend said he read a review of their album in a magazine. Secondly with a name like that wouldn't you go see em? Third was that some people from out of town came to see em and decided to go to their next show so we decided to go along. It turned out to be a three day weekend party from hell. 


But anyways listening to this today reminds me how the late 80's underground music scene was not so cookie cutter defined like some modern day revisionists in the mainstream media would have you believe. I know because I lived it but you always need something to represent. So to me this reissue is a must have to anyone who was around back then as well as anyone around now who wants to hear the cool stuff. 


https://www.darkdescentrecords.com/shop/

LISTEN HERE:

https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/trust-me


No comments: