Saturday, February 17, 2024

STRESS ANGEL - Punished by Nemesis review


 

STRESS ANGEL - Punished by Nemesis

Dying Victims Productions


This label puts out great stuff (thrash, traditional metal and NWOBHM) by bands from European nations. But here we have a band from Brooklyn, New York and they're playing Black Metal. Ladies & Gentleman (and you others) who read this blog (and frankly who doesn't) this release is pretty damm good and they're not hipsters. 


First and foremost the band name, STRESS ANGEL, is one I don't care for. Personally I think they need a better band name. The "they" are a two piece consisting of Manny Sores on vocals and drums. Plus there's Nicolai Orifice on guitar and keyboards. Musically this duo have a love of early black metal with some death metal touches. All combined it's some killer sounds. 


The early part of this album drags you into some blackened death metal style. To me it's totally old school. They give ya some thrash and filth then will add some up lifting moments which lead to total death metal punishment. And the album just doesn't stop from that magnitude. Nine songs of punishing blackened death which I like a lot and still I don't care for the band name.


"Punished by Nemesis", "Close to the Presence of Suffering" and "Ministerial Road" are my absolute favorite tracks from this album. Add to that Manny Sores has this cool screamed vocal style. Once again it reminds me of old school thrash. Musically this release is damm good but I don't care for the album cover either. The band logo is cool. Despite all of my artistic criticisms this is some great black metal. 


In a way it reminds me of some late 80's South American extreme stuff but with obviously better production. But all around this is cool as fuck.


https://dying-victims.de/

LISTEN HERE:

https://dyingvictimsproductions.bandcamp.com/album/punished-by-nemesis


No comments: