Thursday, February 22, 2024

CARNAL SAVAGERY - Into the Abysmal Void review


 

CARNAL SAVAGERY - Into the Abysmal Void

Moribund Records


Call me old school (why not, I am old) but I still hold to a criteria for checking out new music. If the band has a cool name, the cover artwork on the release looks good and it's on a label I'm familiar with then yeah let's give it a try. Of course after listening to this I probably should have my head cut off and then handed to me. I'll explain why.


CARNAL SAVAGERY is a Swedish band that's been around since 2020. This album here is their fifth full length in four years. I'd say that qualifies as being prolithic. Now with the exception of the band's debut, all of their other full lengths came out on Moribund Records. Oh yeah and this is the first time I've gotten in to them. Then again I've been behind when it comes to picking up releases from this label post pandemic. I shall correct that failure. 


Be that as it may CARNAL SAVAGERY, who are from Gothenburg, Sweden to be exact, play death metal the only way they know how. So yeah this is Swedish death metal circa 1990 with plenty of 1) crunchy HM-2 guitar riffs 2) hate filled vocals 3) a relentless drumming assault and of course 4) fluid guitar leads that hit like lightning strikes. 


Now I'm sure some people will say "why should I get this because I've got all of the original OSSDM albums" (yeah on reissue). Well because CARNAL SAVAGERY are new. Look people you're not going to see the old bands much anymore. Hey I saw a few of em back in the 2000's and they were not up to speed. And that was twenty years after the fact. 


Secondly CARNAL SAVAGERY push the necro to the hilt. I mean with songs like "Raped in a Coffin", "Stench of Burnt Decay" and "Reek of Decomposing Flesh" hell yeah what's not to like? Plus with cool as fuck deep screamed vocals, the traditional Swede Death sound and some actual melodic groove kicking in at times. Hell I only wished those old bands continued on this path but they didn't.


So that's why you need CARNAL SAVAGERY in your life.  


http://www.moribundcult.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://carnalsavagery.bandcamp.com/album/into-the-abysmal-void


No comments: