Saturday, February 17, 2024

SPECTRAL VOICE - Sparagmos review


 

SPECTRAL VOICE -  Sparagmos

Dark Descent Records


Musically speaking, the soundtrack to the return of the Great Old Ones (aka: Lovecraftian cosmic entities) is finally here. Just for the record I originally got into this Denver, Colorado death doom band back in 2017 with their debut full length Eroded Corridors of Unbeing. Of course I wasn't the only one. From that one album SPECTRAL VOICE gained a following and one that wanted more. Unfortunately they didn't put out a new full length until now. 


But inbetween the years they've teased their fans via some split releases and even a compilation. Hey I got last year's split they did with UNDERGANG. Oddly enough that was the only release in 2023 I picked up from Dark Descent Records. Which is kinda fucked up since ten years ago they were my favorite label. I mean every year I'd get at least three releases (or more) from em. Maybe this year I can rectify that. 


With that said here we have SPECTRAL VOICE's second full length. Now like I said about their debut full length. If you like SPECTRAL VOICE then you must except the fact that their influences come from PORTAL, COFFINWORM and HOODED MENACE. Given that this four piece act, two of whom are in the latest exploits of BLOOD INCANTATION, love dragging the listener in with a morbid atmosphere. To me this is late night music which must be played loud. 


Sparagmos is four long tracks which is no surprise to me. But each track is a separate monolithic piece where you're pulled out of reality and dragged to the trenches of where this band wants you to be tortured. Suffer to the morbid visions of tranquil guitar reparation then get hit with bludgeoning riffs. Let the beast yell at you or have screams from a far cast you into the bowels of rot. 


But hey I'm not some new person here who hears this for the first time and is wetting the bed. It's been seven years since this band's debut. Better yet go back and listen to their Necrotic Doom demo from 2015. Dark Descent Records reissued it on CD and vinyl. The bottom line is that SPECTRAL VOICE has not moved the meter forward as far as one would expect considering how much time spent between full length releases. In 2015 it was crushing and cool. In 2024 it's decent, dense and ambient. I'll take that. 


https://www.darkdescentrecords.com/shop/

LISTEN HERE:

https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/sparagmos


No comments: