Friday, February 2, 2024

DRIPPING DECAY – Ripping Remains EP review


 

DRIPPING DECAY – Ripping Remains EP

Satanik Royalty Records


I remember checking out this band's debut full length, Festering Grotesqueries, last December. It was a damm good album albeit a bit too much of a homage to REPULSION, EXHUMED and AUTOPSY. But just to recap, DRIPPING DECAY are a four piece death grind act from Portland, Oregon.


Now supposedly while waiting for their album to be dropped last year the band went back into the studio to record five more originals plus a cover song "Trick or Treat" originally from 1984 by the Detroit, Michigan band HALLOWEEN. I'll give em props for the cover choice of obscurity. 


But as far as the original cuts on here go I think the release title Ripping Remains gives away too much. Compared to their full length these songs sound like leftovers which were not fully developed. And that's despite what the band says in their release notes. 


The fuckin irony is that after liking their debut I hoped their next release would contain some originality. Well here it is somewhat. Now I'm thinking their debut was a fuckin masterpiece. Hell it ranked #23 in my Top Forty Favorite releases of 2023. I should've ranked it higher. 


But hey Ripping Remains is still a decent release. I mean how could you not like old school death grind? Plus they pull that old AUTOPSY style of lifting up the bass in the mix. Sure there's still some REPULSION and EXHUMED touches. Hell throw in TERRORIZOR worship influences as well. At this point does it really matter?


In the end this is not a bad release. But I'm hoping that in a year DRIPPING DECAY will come out with another full length that will be a death grind fuckin kick ass platter. I'm talking something that will blow away every extreme metal fan across the planet. I think they can do it and I'll be here waiting. Nuff Said.



https://www.satanikroyaltyrecords.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://drippingdecay.bandcamp.com/album/ripping-remains



No comments: