Sunday, March 24, 2024

INQUISITION - Veneration of Medieval Mysticism and Cosmological Violence review


 

INQUISITION - Veneration of Medieval Mysticism and Cosmological Violence

Agonia Records


In all honesty I lost interest in this band years ago. I mean early on I was a fan since they were this Satanic Colombian death duo. What's not to like about that? Their first bunch of albums were amazing and I still listen to em. But looking back I believe 2010's Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm is probably were I must have stopped being a true fan. Hell I even saw em play a show at (go ahead and laugh) a sports bar in a strip mall back then. 


Be that as it may here's the ninth full length by Dagon (vocals / guitars) and Incubus (drums). I think living in Seattle, Washington has wimped this band out to the hilt. Instead of drinking the blood of their enemies they've switched to soy milk. Seriously Incubus's drum work on here is pathetic. You might as well have gotten a drum machine. Add to that Dagon's versus are monotone boring as if he's rehearsing for a poetry recital. 


Musically there's not much to like here. The production is horrible. Dagon sounds more like ABBATH on heroin. The melodic guitar soloing is interesting to say the least. The use of synths is not so campy. But when the whole shoe-gazer thing kicks in I'm thinking that shit died out over a decade ago. In the end I'm thinking you guys are supposed to be playing for extreme black metal fans. But on here you're just pleasing a bunch of coffee house worms. Aka: the same people who tried to cancel you a short time ago. Nuff Said.


https://www.agoniarecords.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUbd12UsOKA


No comments: