Saturday, March 30, 2024

SERPENTS OATH - Revelation review


 

SERPENTS OATH - Revelation

Odium Records


Honestly when it comes to Belgian black metal I just pull out an ENTHRONED CD and blast the fucker. I've got their catalog so why the hell not. I consider them one of the best black metal bands all around anyways. But now we have a decent addition to that nation's under appreciated black metal scene.  


SERPENTS OATH are not newcomers per say when it comes to playing black metal. This is actually their third full-length since starting out back in 2020. But musically they nail the old ways down. If anything I'd say this five piece act is heavily influenced by the late 90's / early 2000's Swedish BM scene. 


Sound-wise you've got your fast tremolo picked arrangements which are icey to say the least. There's some melodic touches which are more toward the violent side of things. I think the vocals are amazing in that they're more into a gruff / harsh style. The musicianship is absolutely perfect. I'll say they've listened to some MARDUK or DISSECTION in their youth. 


Revelation is twelve cuts in around forty-seven minutes in length. Three of the cuts are instrumentals but they're short impromptu moments to say the least. If I was jaded, and I could be, then I could easily turn around and point to a shelf with hundreds of BM releases from the past which this band could've culled from. But I won't. 


SERPENTS OATH bring fresh life to a BM style that's classic in every sense to a fan of old. This is actually a perfect sounding album. Some young person is gonna hear this release and go apeshit crazy. And they should because the old ones are not around anymore at least most of em. So yeah this album rules in that early on it punishes you and in the end it's uplifting. To me that's damm good.


http://www.odiumrex.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://odiumrecords.bandcamp.com/album/serpents-oath-revelation


No comments: