Wednesday, March 20, 2024

IRONBOUND - Serpent's Kiss review


 

IRONBOUND - Serpent's Kiss

Ossuary Records


Ladies & Gentlemen (and you others) the people who read this site (and frankly who doesn't) know that my appreciation for Polish Metal is huge. I mean that great nation has given us fans the utmost best in black metal, death metal, grindcore and the only cool stoner rock act I've given a fuck about in years. But I have to say the traditional metal style bands have been few and far away for my appreciation until now.


Ironically I was watching a Sea of Tranquility video on YouTube all about the New Wave Of Traditional Heavy Metal the other day. Wow, I thought, they've caught up on the whole scene. Well as their series on the metal subject continues I hope they mention Poland's IRONBOUND. Actually they better mention em because they are the embodiment of the whole New Wave Of Traditional Heavy Metal sound and style. 


Just to get some history out of the way. IRONBOUND are a five piece act who originally started out in 2014. A few years later they started releasing stuff. Now what we have here is the band's second album. Their debut full length, The Lightbringer, came out in 2021 and also on Ossuary Records. So when I first listened to this one I was hooked by the third song which by the way is the title track. 


Musically IRONBOUND hit all the bases as far as the genre goes. You've got the galloping melodic riffs, a thick up front bass sound, the drum work is decent and the guitar soloing is cool as fuck. Also I like the real guy vocals. There's no campy falsettos / heavy metal screams. What's also cool is that these guys are really trying to give an original take to a tried and true genre style. And that's what makes this a great album. 


I know other people will pick this album apart trying to find something in order to name drop a band from the past. I don't wanna do that because it's disrespectful. Sure it's traditional heavy metal from old but IRONBOUND makes you (and an old fuck like me) rise up and throw the horned fist in appreciation. Hands down Serpent's Kiss is going to be seen as one of the best albums of 2024.   


https://ossuaryrecords.com/en/

LISTEN HERE:

https://ossuaryrecords.bandcamp.com/album/serpents-kiss




No comments: