Saturday, March 9, 2024

THE OBSESSED - Gilded Sorrow review


 

THE OBSESSED - Gilded Sorrow

Ripple Music


The last time I saw The OBSESSED was a few years back when they played with ANTISEEN and EYEHATEGOD in Chapel Hill, NC. Wino and company played a decent set but it wasn't much different then the time I saw em a year before. I think that the Sacred album from 2017 was out at the time. Back then I thought Sacred was a decent album but it was missing some sort of spirit as in the original OBSESSED mode. 


Now giving this new one a few listens I'm like yeah Wino is back as a guy who knew 70's hard rock, played it, rocked it and then got doomy. So yeah this new album rocks with plenty of 70's groove, a slight bit of doom and a whole lot of fuckin Wino killing it. Along with Wino for the ride in this new version of The OBSESSED is returning drummer Brian Costantin who is from the Sacred days. Next up is Jason Taylor on guitar and Chris Angleberger on bass.  


Favorite tracks on here well there's the opener "Daughter of an Echo" which is a cool ass groove laden rocker reminiscent of certain cuts from 1994's The Church Within. "It's Not OK" is also in that same vein. "Realize a Dream" and "Jailine" come across like 70's Southern Rock cuts. Both songs are a full on blast. 


As far as the more doom laden cuts go "Stoned Back to the Bomb Age" is a fuzz laden-ed head banger. While "Yen Sleep" reminds me of SPIRIT CARAVAN which is cool. Be that as it may I'll always say my favorite OBSESSED album is their debut. With that said I believe that opinion has changed after listening to this multiple times. I think this album blows away everything Wino has done in the past under The OBSESSED banner. 


https://ripple-music.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://ripplemusic.bandcamp.com/album/gilded-sorrow


No comments: