Sunday, March 24, 2024

STYGIAN CROWN - Funeral for a King review


 

STYGIAN CROWN - Funeral for a King

Cruz del Sur Music


And yet another female fronted doom band I'm checking out this year. Well it has so far been interesting. With that said this is the second album from STYGIAN CROWN. They're a five piece act hailing from Los Angeles, California. So there's a couple of things to notice. This band features two GRAVEHILL members. Who by the way are a damm good death thrash band. I have a couple of their releases.


Now as far as STYGIAN CROWN goes well if you handed me a blank CD and asked what I thought of it. I'd say it sounds like some death metal musicians trying to play epic doom with a singer who's not very good. OK so I'm half right. On here, aside from a boring opening instrumental, STYGIAN CROWN do come out of the gates with some heavy handed doom which would make an old school CANDLEMASS fan think is OK but a new school fan go "cool dude", especially if you're into the hype. 


And I've gotta say musically this album meets the marks as far as quality doom riffs, a rhythm section nailing things to perfection. Props to Eric Bryan's bass work on here. Add to that I like their use of piano and violin to their overall sound on a few songs. But I'm not a fan of the vocals. Melissa Pinion does pull off a few halfway decent performances but overall I'm not in her fan base. 


This ends up being kinda sad since musically this is a decent album plagued by one variant. Reminds me of my problem with the early albums by CIRITH UNGOL. Great music but those vocals.


https://www.cruzdelsurmusic.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://stygiancrown.bandcamp.com/album/funeral-for-a-king


No comments: