Wednesday, May 20, 2020

EREMIT - Desert of Ghouls EP review



EREMIT - Desert of Ghouls EP

Transcending Obscurity Records




There are times when I wish I were drunk then I'd get away with some of the things I say on my website. Unfortunately that is not one of those times when listening to this band's release. So who's up for some fuzzy riffs and pounding drums of sludgy German doom? OK if you're getting ready for a 2020 Wachen campout then feel excluded.


This is the second release by this German three piece act. Their debut was 2018's Carrier of Weight which back then I said was as good of a time you could have listening to sludgey doom which absorbs you. The band is more into taking you on an atmospheric trip then a groove laden ride or a beat down. We certainly have enough choices of the latter two to choose from.


Their latest is a two long song journey. The first cut "Beheading the Innumerous" is a nine minute beast which crawls along at a snail's pace. It's heavy on the fuzz and scorching on the vocals. To me I think it's a monster leftover from the full length. 


Strangely enough it's their second cut "City of Rash-il-num" which I found far more interesting. For starters it surpasses the twelve minute mark. It starts out as an trance inducing atmospheric cut with beautiful ambiance. The guitars and drum work are completely simple yet they slowly build up. About halfway in the vocals and fuzz laden groove kicks into play. In the end both cuts are damm good.


https://tometal.com/

https://eremitdoom.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/EremitDoom/


No comments: