Saturday, May 2, 2020

MOONS - Go Out Swinging review



MOONS - Go Out Swinging

Horror Pain Gore Death Productions



Normally whenever HPGD sends a release in for review the band(s) tend to on par with a cheetah late for supper. Yeah we're talking about speed. But once in a while, and I'm gonna use a baseball analogy, you're standing at the plate waiting for a fastball and the pitcher throws a slider that you totally swing over. Back in my sport days instead of getting mad when that happened. I'd look at the pitcher, smile and point out to him "you got me".


And that is what we have here folks. MOONS is a three piece sludgey doom act from the great state of Pennsylvania. I say great because I use to live there. But anyways I'm not going to say that this debut full length by MOONS is a progressive thought paragon. Nor am I about to say it has a sound which will carry you on bong exhales to an astral plane of transcendental meditation. This ain't some hiptard blog and I'm not a liar.


What is really cool about this release is that MOONS are not part of the whole generic genre over statement which I hear with many bands in the sludgey stoner doom category. Sure on the six cuts of this release they touch the surfaces. But it's their musicianship and song structure style that make em cool as fuck.


Sure they're heavy but not riff-centric or SABBATH humping. The bass and guitar playing starts at a crossroads and then separates while the drumwork keeps a frantic cohesiveness. The vocals are caustic screams of your attention as opposed to cries of help. I like this because their sound is intricate. There's definitely a 70's vibe of classic power trio functioning with modern day doom. This band needs to be known.



http://www.horrorpaingoredeath.com/

https://hpgd.bandcamp.com/album/go-out-swinging-2

https://www.facebook.com/heavymoons/


No comments: