Tuesday, May 5, 2020

TAAKE / WHOREDOM RIFE - Pakt split review



TAAKE / WHOREDOM RIFE - Pakt split

Terratur Possessions




Well wake me the fuck up for some good Norwegian black metal. Seriously 2020 has sucked for great BM and we're in a pandemic with sickness and death. So here's two bands of which one I'm a fan of and the second is new to me. 


Let's start with the latter, WHOREDOM RIFE, who've been around for a few years now. Musically their two cuts on here are completely different. "From Nameless Pagan Graves" is total second wave BM sounding. I thought it was a cover. Now their second cut, "En Lenke Smidd i Blod" is a beautiful atmospheric BM piece. I like their second cut enough that I'm going to check out all their past stuff.


Next up it's TAAKE with one original, "Ubeseiret" and a cover of a SISTERS OF MERCY song "Heartland". As far as the latter cut goes I was never a fan of most post punk so the cut comes over as Hoest doing goth. Despite what some in the metal media say, in order to be hip, post punk and black metal do not go together. It's either one or the other and not combined. 


As far as the original cut "Ubeseiret" goes it's typical TAAKE style. Normally whenever I review splits it's about a brawl between the two acts. As far as this split goes I wanna say it's a tie but I wanna check out WHOREDOM RIFE's past catalog because of one of their cuts. And that's the whole idea of putting out split releases in the first place.



https://terraturpossessions.com/

https://taake.bandcamp.com/

https://whoredomrife.bandcamp.com/album/pakt




No comments: