Wednesday, May 20, 2020

HENRY KANE - Age of the Idiot review


HENRY KANE - Age of the Idiot 

Transcending Obscurity Records




Here we have the solo project of Sweden's Jonny Pettersson. He is the multi-instrumentalist who's responsible for this particular second full length release. Fuck me running but I am not familiar with the man's extensive previous work in a multitude of bands. But after reviewing this as well as his previous output I'm thinking he would like to be the next Rogga Johansson. 


Well good luck with that goal but seeing that this album is a mixture of death metal, hardcore and grind I have to look at Rogga's DOWN AMONG THE DEAD MEN as a catalyst and this as the next progression. Now there's nothing wrong with that. Remember people I'm from the states (that's the USA) and I love how the Swedes took this mixed style and ripped it to shreds. 


Age of the Idiot is a relentless 19 cut powerhouse. Even better is that it's not a generic follow the numbers childish affair. While there's plenty to slam your ass off to or raise your horned fist to in appreciation. There's some seeped in surprises of atmospheric death metal. Biggest surprise for me was their cover of "Psykopaten" by an old 80's Swedish act ASTA KASK. I've still got one of their releases via a tape trade from back in the day.






Now with everything I've said this release is cool as fuck. Age of the Idiot has that charged feel which brings back memories, actually personal memories, of huge beat-downs by bands which meant it to be memorable. Sorry Rogga but this is just too damm good.


https://tometal.com/

https://henrykanecrust.bandcamp.com/album/age-of-the-idiot-death-metal-grind-crust

https://www.facebook.com/HenryKaneGrind/


No comments: