Thursday, May 21, 2020

GRIM FATE - Perished in Torment review



GRIM FATE - Perished in Torment

Xtreem Music




Once I saw in the promo that this band here was Dutch death metal, it was like hell fuckin yeah let's hear it. Something else which is cool and that's this band is fairly new. GRIM FATE are a three piece act who started out three years ago. To their credit they've come out with a handful of short form releases. Finally here we have their full length debut.


Now for someone like myself who for years has admitted to being a huge fan of Dutch death metal (it's a heritage thing). I found it very interesting that GRIM FATE, who are full on death doom, have a sound and style leaning towards similar US acts. I'm not going to name drop here. If you're a fan of the US version of the genre then throw any name up against the wall and it will stick.


Let me use a driving analogy for ya. You ever get behind some asshole who is slow as shit? You're following the slow bastard then suddenly they'll pick up the pace for a bit. But of course the next thing you know is the fuck head hits the breaks and goes right back to the slow crawl again. That's pretty much of what Perished in Torment sounds like. Minus me cursing, honking the horn and giving the other driver the finger.


Obviously I like this a lot. The band crushes with their doom passages but actually succeeds in adding what I think is melody with the riffs. Other times there will be a savage rush of riffage which hits you out of nowhere. The vocals are your basic cave dwelling beast variety. I noticed that two guys in this band are also in BURIAL REMAINS, who are damm good in their own right. 


For the most part on here GRIM FATE cover the basics well which is what you want from a death doom release. Then they include some really cool nuances to their songs which no way in hell would you think boredom or generic. In fact I found it exciting. But then hey they're Dutch, so am I and you can go fuck yourself. 



http://shop.xtreemmusic.com/english.main.index.php

https://grimfate.bandcamp.com/album/perished-in-torment

https://www.facebook.com/grimfatedeathmetal/

No comments: