Monday, July 29, 2019

BURIAL - Relinquished Souls Reissue review



BURIAL - Relinquished Souls Reissue

Redefining Darkness Records 

Raw Skull Recordz 




Ask a devoted death metal fan if the know the band BURIAL. Chances are they'll say yeah they've heard of em. Then again there's been a dozen or so bands who've used that name. Now if you are a fan and collector of Dutch death metal (like me because of my heritage) then you'll be like oh yeah they only put out one album. A great album actually but unfortunately it was a one and done affair. I have a CD reissue version myself, sue me. 


Now the good people at Redefining Darkness Records here in the states and Raw Skull Recordz over in Europe also have a fond love for this album. So much so that they're giving it another reissue on multiple formats. Personally I think that's cool as fuck. Metal should be for the fans and not high end collectors who don't look at something like this for it's enjoyment value but as an item with a price tag. Secondly it's a release that really deserves to be reissued and given it's due for the sheer quality of the music.


 BURIAL's short career was due to band member issues. But something else which needs to be mentioned is that the band's sound a few years too late. This originally was released in 1993 and you don't need to be a historian to know what was going on in metal at that time as far as genres and the directions they were taking. But as far as death metal was concerned the whole melodic thing was going on. Many of the early greats either split up, changed gears are limped along until later years revived their careers. So basically BURIAL was OSDM before the term was coined.


So why do you need this release? Well first off BURIAL were a unique band in that their sound favored more toward the style by death metal bands here in the states then their European counterparts. I've seen people toss out plenty of names for influences in the past. Personally I say early DEATH and OBITUARY had to been big influences to them because just fuckin listen to the damm thing. The riffs are familiar but I won't goes so far to say it's copycat. Song structures are great along with that there's the steady rhythm flow. Percussion is totally satisfying. Plus the leads have that fluid like exposure. Vocals are a combination of deep growls and high pitched screams. Yeah that's familiar as well. 


I never knew why exactly this never got the credit it deserved back in the day. I certainly don't remember a thing about em back in the day. And to be honest I learned about em and this album ten years after it's original release. Yeah I know, so sue me. Be that as it may, after a decade of old school death metal revisited appreciation. I'm still shocked that this release never got attention other than a few diehards. In an era when I've seen things reissued and scratching my head wondering why. This one right here is waiting for you to enjoy. A masterpiece from 1993 and that's not a boast.


https://redefiningdarknessrecords.bandcamp.com/album/burial-relinquished-souls

https://rawskullrecordz.com/en/cds/323-burial-relinquished-souls-cd-pre-order.html

https://www.facebook.com/Burial-197098597012384/


No comments: