Sunday, July 14, 2019

DELIRIUM - Urkraft review



DELIRIUM - Urkraft

MDD Records




Well there's nothing I like better than to start my weekend off with some pagan metal. OK that might be a stretch but seriously this act's sound caught me in a good way. DELIRIUM are a five piece band that hails from Germany. They've been around for over a decade, 2006 to be exact. According to some promo info they started out as a simple death metal act. They still carry some of that genre with em. The band finally got going with this pagan metal style a few years later. So far they've released a full length, Frankenblut in 2011. Plus they've done some short form releases, two EPs, since their debut and this their second full length.


So there's a couple of things I like about this album. First and foremost is that the vocals are sung in German. To me that gives it a more authentic feel. Do I understand what they're singing about? Hell no! I've got a chef's understanding of French and a tourist's vocabulary of Dutch. I tried to learn Norwegian once but quit after a month. Still the vocals carry that forceful aggressive touch which adds to the band's sound. 


Speaking of which yeah musically this is blackened melodic death metal with a huge touch of the pagan metal genre. But the melodies produced by the epic riffs and the tremolo picked runs are amazing, hell I'll call em grandiose. Listening to this reminds me of similar acts that I love like early AMON AMARTH and TYR. Of course there's always going to be that FALKENBACH name drop as well because of those backing pagan chorus like vocals. But there are times when DELIRIUM incorporates some rocking moments that are for headbanging purposes. All around this is cool as fuck.


https://mdd-records.de/

https://frankendelirium.bandcamp.com/album/urkraft-2019

https://www.facebook.com/DeliriumFranken



No comments: