Wednesday, January 4, 2017

MIZANTROPIA - Oblivion review



MIZANTROPIA  -  Oblivion

Metal Scrap Records


Years ago, back before I semi retired from the blog. I used to get at least one release from some Gothic Metal band per month. Yeah ya give a NIGHTWISH CD a good review and it opens the fuckin floodgates. Most of the bands were from Europe with a few exceptions. I mean gothic metal from places like Argentina and South Africa, who would've guested? All of these bands had common threads aka: exceptional musicianship, plenty of keyboards and of course a lovely female singer either wrapped in a ball gown or strapped into a corset with her business hanging out. I named it "Prom Dress Metal".

So with all of that said I don't want to get into the habit of reviewing this stuff anymore. But since this label was nice enough to send SFM666 a bevy of cool stuff to review I'll let this one pass. Just as long as I don't start getting invites to all gothic metal band fests in Bulgaria again. So here we have MIZANTROPIA from the Ukraine who actually break the mold of your typical gothic metal act. Musically it's still the same old progressive melodic death metal with the keyboards layered in the back. But their female vocalist sings in the clean as well as death metal growled vocal style. So that is a twist.

The key here is that she's actually singing in that voice as opposed to a lot of melodic death metal bands with female singers who just grunt rand scream. Typically in the gothic metal genre the woman will sing the clean passages and one of the male band members will do the harsh death vocals. So to me this puts their ranking higher than typical prom dress metal. Plus I checked out one of their videos and the singer is wearing a corset. Yeah I'm an older gentleman now but I appreciate beauty as well as talent. I think if you are into this genre of metal, oh and there are a lot in Europe, then MIZANTROPIA is a band you should be checking out especially if you can appreciate the edge they add to their sound.

 Rating: 4/5


http://metalscraprecords.com/ 

https://www.facebook.com/Mizantropia-130594892316/

No comments: