Saturday, March 2, 2019

GORGON - Elegy review



GORGON - Elegy

Dusktone




As I've mentioned before but bares repeating. I only write about music that I believe I'll like or looks to be interesting. This band and their second full length here falls into that latter part. GORGON is a symphonic death metal act from France who started out back in 2013. (Don't confuse them with the 1990's black metal act) Now the sub-genre has been around for a while. I've heard some bands of the past try to introduce orchestrations into their technical death metal framework before and it never worked for me. Most of the time it's just symphonic neo classical metal. Choose your theme to what makes them relevant as far as artistic. 


But then here's GORGON who come across as a mix of BEHEMOTH and SEPTIC FLESH. There's a lot of intensity going on with their music. As much as they crush you with heavy handed guitar riffs, thunderous bass lines and the intensity of the drum blasts there's a huge precision paid to the orchestral melodies. Give some props to the production values put into this. Not even a simple repeated pluck of the piano key is overlooked. The vocals of course are your standard deep baritone death metal variety with a shriek or two once in a while. There's also some female operatic vocals sequenced in a few times as well. I'd also point out that there's some black metal peaking in.


Overall I believe Elegy is just an amazing piece of work. I kinda thought it was a concept album just the way the song structures weave along as if its an orchestral piece of music throughout it's forty three minutes run time. I spent days blasting this one and was totally transfixed upon the sound and fury which is invoked. This release will not change my mind on what I think of symphonic death meta.l But I know this is something I'll come back to playing for the rest of 2019 because in my not so humble opinion it is one of the most enjoyable releases you will hear this year.


http://www.dusktone.eu/

https://www.facebook.com/gorgonofficial/


No comments: