Monday, March 25, 2019

WOORMS - Slake review



WOORMS - Slake

Sludgelord Records




I've made my opinion plain in the past that as far as experimentation in extreme metal goes. If the goal is just to be different for the sake of difference then it's lost to me. The whole idea of experimentation is to create something unique, something better and maybe enjoyable. Of course sometimes the experiment doesn't succeed it's perceived goals. Which reminds me of an old joke. How do you say bullshit in French? Avant-Garde.


Case in point here we have the debut release by WOORMS, a three piece sludge band from the great state of Louisiana. I can understand that this band doesn't want to be just like their NOLA neighbors. I'll give em points for that. Don't let your environment define you. WOORMS does a great job at that part mixing up sludgey grooves, pushing out some OM vibes while also visiting the Desert Sessions sound from the late 1990s. I'll even say they toss in some early 90's era sounds of what modern day music historians like to call "post rock". We, who were around back then, just called it a punk fuckin rock influence.


Now with all of that said some of this is cool by my old school standards of enjoyment. But then WOORMS do go off the rails into territory that even the BUTTHOLE SURFERS in their heyday wouldn't touch. I'm talking grungy noise with spoken word sound bites. I'm talking whatafuck is up with the Gregorian chanted opener? Why are there so many samples? This ain't brutal death grind which kinda relies on all of that. In the end look it's their debut release and there is a cool band within all the outer wrapping.


https://thesludgelord.bandcamp.com/album/slake


https://www.facebook.com/WOORMS-820255734812259/

No comments: