Sunday, November 18, 2018

ARCHAEOBEAST - Manifesting The Antichrist review



ARCHAEOBEAST - Manifesting The Antichrist

Horror Pain Gore Death Productions




When I saw this band was from Newport News, Virginia I immediately checked the names of the band members. It was probably a dumb if not losing effort. Years ago I had a bunch of friends from that town in Virginia. In fact some of em were in a cool band called JERMFLUX. They were a mix of punk, metal and noise. But during the recession of 2008 a some of those people I knew moved because the work dried up. Hopefully things have gotten better economically.


Which brings us to ARCHAEOBEAST a four piece brutal death metal act. Hey don't laugh because I know most people think Virginia is all about the Richmond scene. And of course that scene is all about doom metal, hipsters and tourists going to the GWAR-bar. But ARCHAEOBEAST are not the first serious DM act I've heard from Virginia. In fact we had a couple of bands from VA here at the Raleigh Death Fest last June. I reviewed a band's release from VA months ago as well. So the bottom line is that yes Virginia you've got death metal.


Now what ARCHAEOBEAST has laid upon us here is a four song EP. After a few listens I'd say it's a good start. I mean we're talking brutal death metal here, be that it is in an old school style. Or in other words it's not stupid like a lot of California bands in this genre. But seriously there's going to be no points awarded for originality. What this band does do well is set forth a crushing atmosphere. That's something which your average brutal death metal band does not. 


All in all the vocals have that perfect bestial style. As far as the song structures go they're mid-paced to death doom slow as in watching grass grow slow. When they are into flourishes of speed it's almost half paced grindcore style. If there's one piece missing it's some decent leads being thrust into their songs. But hey it's a good start.


If this band came down to Raleigh and played a show on a night when I'm off of work. I'd check em out and be up front through their whole set. Afterwards I'd buy em beers and maybe get a shirt from em. I expect to see a full length release from this band in a year.


http://www.horrorpaingoredeath.com/

https://hpgd.bandcamp.com/album/manifesting-the-antichrist

https://www.facebook.com/archaeobeast/


No comments: