Sunday, November 18, 2018

HORRORGRAPHY - Season Of Grief review



HORRORGRAPHY - Season Of Grief 

Satanath Records




After I gave this a listen my thoughts were to pass on it. But since this comes from Satanath Records I figured OK lets give it a chance. This label in the past has always produced some straight up genre releases whether they were black or death metal. So they've invested in something off the mark. Alright I'll give it the o'l Mr. Wolf third degree. They'll hate it of course.


Imagine if you will a doom metal version of NIGHTWISH. Oh yeah and they're from Athens, Greece. Alright so to you dedicated readers as well as haters of this blog I'll fuckin admit that I like some NIGHTWISH. Thankfully I don't allow comments by haters but I digress. This band does allow three vocal styles to purge through their variety of tempos. 


The first is the operatic vocals sung by a woman who could've been a stand in for Tarja Turunen. Then again that would be Floor Jansen. Be that as it may you've also got two guy singers with one doing harsh death metal type growls while the other one adds these clean Gothic priestly vocals. Musically this is a combination of NIGHTWISH's Century Child and CANDLEMASS's Ancient Dreams.



Stalwarts of both camps will be pissed off but hey while listening to this late at night I think it's cool. I mean like this is new compared to being depressed and stoned as far as doom metal is going. This release will be on my year end best of doom metal releases simply because it's unique. Hell next year they'll be the next big thing. Hopefully it won't be just because they took a THERION cover, "The Rise Of Sodom And Gomorrah", to new heights.


http://www.satanath.com/

https://satanath.bandcamp.com/album/sat189-horrorgraphy-season-of-grief-2018

https://www.facebook.com/Horrorgraphy-Symphonic-metal-1928696277343209/


No comments: