Wednesday, November 14, 2018

DUNGEONHAMMER - Infernal Moon review



DUNGEONHAMMER - Infernal Moon

Me Saco un Ojo Records




I admit I've been behind in doing reviews. I chalk it up to the past couple of months spending too much time watching old horror movies which I've seen a dozen times over. Hey look in September and October I get the nostalgia bug for that type of thing. So when this came in and the first bursts of it's opening cut "Infernal Moon" kicked in I was thrown into nostalgia mode. Which ain't a band thing as everyone who reads this blog knows.


DUNGEONHAMMER are one of those unique acts consisting of members from parts apart. The band is a two piece consisting of Frenchman Elio Cogo on guitars and vocals. Dutchman Rene Aquarius takes care of the drumming. What these two individuals have in common is a love for HELLHAMMER / CELTIC FROST. There's nothing wrong with that.


Over the years I've heard plenty of bands influenced by Tom G. Warrior's early days. DUNGEONHAMMER flat out nails it. You've got the angry barked vocals plus the grunts. Add to that their monotonous guitar tone with simplistic yet bludgeoning riffs. Songs range from mid-paced to slow down doom essence. For me I kinda like their faster cuts like "Sworn in Blood", "Oracle of Death" as well as the previously mentioned opener.


A few of the longer cuts, for example "Perpetual Funeral Winds", are decent while others wear out their welcome too quickly. That slow motion grind which CELTIC FROST perfected carried a lot of atmosphere which today with better production standards is tough to recreate. Be that as it may I actually loved this release. Throughout it's playing I couldn't help but grin. It also brought on thoughts and ideas that would be funny but would probably get me arrested.



https://www.mesacounojo.com/

https://dungeonhammer.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/dungeonhammer?ref=profile


No comments: