Monday, November 5, 2018

BAST - Nanoangstrom review



BAST - Nanoangstrom 

Black Bow Records




BAST are the lid of a pressure cooker which seems ready to blow any second. Musically this English trio weaves together some varied sounds into a cauldron and it works. Think the crushing sounds of CONAN, add in some post-metal HELMET, some prog plus blackened moments to add atmosphere along with harsh vocals. Yeah aside from the intro, the five cuts on here bring forth a lot to consider.


I was outside on the back deck having my morning smoke and cup of coffee the other day. It was a brisk Fall day with a chill in the air worthy of wearing a sweatshirt. I felt great then when I came back inside and played this release. I got the same feeling. This is BAST 's second full length, first time for me hearing em. Their debut, Spectres, came out four years ago. I'm not so surprised it took a while between albums since the cuts on here are long and carry diverseness in design and depth.


The tagline on BAST is blackened doom but to me, after playing this multiple times, it seems such a limited term to describe them as. The title cut for myself is where everything this band does comes together in an explosive way and yet it's still a cacophony of styles bubbling away. Other cuts lay out a vast wasteland of despair to trudge through. It's all very cool and breaks all molds or trends being put forth by lesser acts who just take the simple route. I'd call this excellence.


http://www.blackbowrecords.com/

https://bastmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Bastmusic


No comments: