Thursday, November 1, 2018

VICTUS - Sacrifice EP review



VICTUS - Sacrifice EP

Self Released




This one came to me unsolicited or in other words no PR firm or label sent it in for review. I get those now and then. Also it was addressed to me as "Good afternoon Mr Wolf." That's unusual because it's usually "Dear Scumfeast" or "Hey Asshole". So I thought it was nice. 


Be that as it may lets start with some obvious facts. VICTUS are a new band out of England whose music is in their own words groove/sludge metal. Now before I get into that I need to point out that doom metal, as well as all it's sub-genres, were created by Tony Iomni of BLACK SABBATH. Don't argue with me ok. Just shut up (hipster fools).


Now with that said the English extreme music scene has produced plenty of great acts who perform doom. But the US has always been the kings of sludge metal. Then things changed around a decade ago and a lot of cool sludgey doom has poured out of that nation like syrup from a bottle. What's better is that those bands tweak it a bit.


Which brings us to VICTUS who love the post Volume 11 era of SABBATH, the good stuff, and yet add some groove to it all. Check out "Hell". Sound wise it has some touches of CORROSION OF CONFORMITY meets a lot of newer sludge copycats in the US. I'm not a fan of groove metal at all so I looked over their part in that. I do like the angst ridden vocals. Add to that their execution of violent melody in some of their songs. or starters it's the cut"Falling Down" which cuts away from the groove portions.

In the end as long as this band performs in pants, their singer does not wear a baseball hat on backwards and they don't do a LAMB OF GOD cover at the end of their set then hey I could see this band live. Sacrifice is a good release if you thought that the last COC release wasn't, which I did.

https://victusuk.bandcamp.com/releases

https://www.facebook.com/VictusBand/





No comments: