Sunday, November 11, 2018

ETERNAL ROT - Cadaverine review



ETERNAL ROT - Cadaverine

Godz Ov War Productions




If you're a friend of mine on social media (and chances are you're not) then you know I listen to a variety of music and I like sharing much to some people's disgust. I'm also inclined to themes or moods when it comes to my monthly playlist endeavors. For October and November I listen to a lot of doom mainly because the Fall season is so suggested of that genre. So it is fitting that I'm listening to this debut release by ETERNAL ROT. 

As we all know (or should know) aside from black metal, the doom metal genre is packed with variety. One of my favorite sub-genres of it is death doom. Whenever I listen to certain bands I can't help but imagine slime ridden caverns containing unearthly beasts or entities. Some people like to use the term Lovecraftian and yeah if you're a fan of that literature then it works.


ETERNAL ROT's music does invoke the previously mention images as well as some other horrors. The band is a two piece act consisting of multi-instrumentalist Peter Mayer of Poland and vocalist/lyricist Grindak who's an ex-pat from Poland who now resides in England. As far as vocals go Grindak's are creepy and inhuman sounding. Musically this is the type of death doom that melds the organic with the machine like atmosphere. It crawls and devours. Reminds me a lot of the first time I heard PORTAL or HOODED MENACE.


Cadaverine is just four cuts of filth ridden, claustrophobia inducing, black goo bleeding from your walls type of nightmare stuff. Making comparisons to past practitioners is easy since there's a closed group of acts who push this menacing sound to a degree of credibility. ETERNAL ROT are simply the latest who do it well and memorable.


http://godzovwar.com/

https://godzovwarproductions.bandcamp.com/album/cadaverine

https://www.facebook.com/EternalRot


No comments: