Saturday, December 15, 2018

COATHANGER ABORTION / SACRIFICIAL SLAUGHTER / ROTTENNESS - The Hate Divide Split review



COATHANGER ABORTION / SACRIFICIAL SLAUGHTER / ROTTENNESS - The Hate Divide Split review

Horror Pain Gore Death Productions




I know it's a horrible thing (no it's not) but every time I see a split release I can't help but think of the song "No We Don't Want To Do A Split Seven Inch With Your Stupid Fucking Band" by ANAL CUNT. The title specifically since the actual song is around thirty seconds of noise and screaming. And you can say what you want about Seth Putnam but you can't deny that some of his song titles were hilarious.


Now I'm not placing that thought to this release per say. I'm just pointing out some truth. Back in the hardcore scene of the late 80's (where grindcore emerged from by the way) one avenue  for a shitty band to get a record or tape out was to convince a more known band to do a split release with em. Usually the well known band would send the other band a throwaway track or two. Oh and yeah I owned a bunch of em.


Which now does kinda segue to this three way split release here. The first band, COATHANGER ABORTION, are not strangers to me. Yes I am serious. You see I'm a fan of a few bands on the Comatose Music label which is based here in North Carolina. So I think it was last year that a used book and music store I'd frequent every so often was having a closing out sale. On previous visits I always saw CDs by bands on the Comatose label in the racks. So during that sale day I picked up every one I saw. Hey for two dollars each, why not? One of the CDs was by COATHANGER ABORTION. The dirty look I got from the skinny, green hair, eyeglasses wearing, hipster chic cashier, who had to go find and pull the disc out of the file cabinet, was priceless.


But getting back to this release, COATHANGER ABORTION (who hail from Chattanooga, Tennessee) contribute four tracks to this. One, their opener "End of Me", is an original which clearly displays their minimalist brutal death metal style. Then their next three selections are covers. Remember what I said about throwaway tracks? I'll give em credit for pulling off a decent version of OBITUARY's "Chopped in Half". But the cover of CANNIBAL CORPSE's "Beyond the Cemetery" was poorly done. Which was a fuckin surprise since these guys are heavily influenced by em. And the MISFITS' cover "Hybrid Moments" wasn't even funny although if it was supposed to be serious well that's just fuckin worse. Then again it would be worth playing to a rabid MISFITS fan just to see their reaction.


Second on this split is SACRIFICIAL SLAUGHTER who are another band I'm familiar with. Sorry no crazy stories about them other than the fact that I reviewed their American Death Thrash split with ENFUNERATION originally in 2011 and then the reissue last year. Come on man "Reign of the Hammer" is a pretty cool song from that release. On here these California death metallers give us four new originals including the title cut of this release. I simply call SACRIFICIAL SLAUGHTER's music style death metal but they're far more than that. They add plenty of thrash speed and grind insanity to their songs. 


The next extreme act on this triple threat is ROTTENNESS from Mexico who I never heard of prior to this. In fact the only connection I have is that they were once a Sevared Records act which is a label that I have a few classics by. If you are familiar with that label then you know I'm being facetious by using the term "classics". But anyways their contribution here consists of an intro sound bite, two original cuts and two covers. What, more fuckin covers? Musically ROTTENNESS is pure fuckin Mexican death grind which includes some damm crunchy riffs as well as some decent groove on their second cut. The vocals are in that brutal DM style.


As far as their choice of cover songs go, well that threw me. First off they do the STOOGES "I Wanna Be Your Dog" which is the second most covered STOOGES song. Just for the record "Search and Destroy" is the first but anyways this band plays it straight as opposed to putting it through the death grind filter. Hell my long ago band did a faster version of "I Wanna Be Your Dog" with me on vocals. Their second cover choice is "Vote With a Bullet" by COC ( that would be CORROSION OF COMFORMITY to you non locals). Their version, which is brutalized slightly, sounds nothing like the original and it just sucks. But hey I never liked the song or that era of COC to begin with so there you go.


So in closing as with all split releases I pick a winner as if it were a battle royal. On here it's SACRIFICIAL SLAUGHTER hands down. But hey in my not so humble opinion they could shit in a box, send it to you with a note that reads "Happy Birthday" and you would like it. I think they're one of the coolest and threatening DM bands in the states right now and need to put out a new full length next year. As far as COATHANGER ABORTION and ROTTENNESS go well they just add complimentary pleasure to The Hate Divide and I hope to hear more sickness from them. In the end this release is a must have. 


http://www.horrorpaingoredeath.com/

https://hpgd.bandcamp.com/album/the-hate-divide-split-album


No comments: