Friday, December 28, 2018

PORTAL – Ion review



PORTAL – Ion 

Profound Lore




You know those times when you're supposed to be enjoying something but you're not? I've experienced many of those situations and let me say this is one of em. Now I know there's going to people out there saying (cue whiny hipster voice) "well Mr. Wolf, you just don't have the refined tastes in order to appreciate this avant-garde as well as progressive approach to death metal." Ah yeah, and fuck you too.


Strangely enough I have been a fan of this Australian band over the years. I thought 2007's Outre was fantastic, still do, 2009's Swarth same thing. Now 2013's Vexovoid was a disappointment and as far as that split 7"er on Hells Headbangers Records, well you can guess why I bought that one. Those are the only PORTAL releases I own thank you very much. But as far as Ion goes well I've had this for a while now and after so many listens I just can't think of one cool thing to say about this.


Now sure someone will probably say (cue whiny hipster voice) "well Mr. Wolf obviously you cannot comprehend experimental death metal." Yeah and fuck you again because this is an experiment gone wrong. I listen to this and all I hear is Japanese power-violence recorded in a basement. Which is funny since they use to sound like they recorded in a cave.


I'm sure PORTAL could record themselves taking a huge dump, put it out as a release on Profound Lore and people would hail it as Lovecraftian as well as claustrophobic and profound or something else. If I missed any adjectives I'm sorry. I'm bored with this one. Oddly enough there are at least a half dozen bands this year I've checked out who have copied the early PORTAL style, one of which on this label. I held out thinking I could find a way to like this one but unfortunately those band's releases are better than this one.



https://www.profoundlorerecords.com/

https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/ion

https://www.facebook.com/PORTALDEATH


No comments: