Friday, December 21, 2018

KHORS - Beyond The Bestial EP review



KHORS - Beyond The Bestial EP

Ashen Dominion




I'll file this one under "holy shit I remember this band and I've got some of their past stuff". As for the rest of you well here ya go. KHORS is a black metal act hailing from the Ukraine. I first got into them in the late 2000's with their third full length Mysticism. Yeah I was late to the party since they were around for a few years but hey I considered it at the time to be a great album and still do.


A couple of years later while thumbing through the $1.00 cheapo and not for sale (but they were) promo CD bin at a local record store I found the band's Candlelight Records debut Wisdom of Centuries. It had a sticker on it which read "Ukrainian Black Metal for fans of DRUDKH". By the way KHORS never sounded like DRUDKH. I just figured that Candlelight Records was just trying to cash in on the fame of them by signing their own Ukrainian BM act. 


By the way I never found Wisdom of Centuries, which came out in 2012, nor it's follow up Night Falls onto the Fronts of Ours which came out on Candlelight as well in 2015 to be that great. I picked up Return to Abandoned also that year (which originally came out in 2010) and was so impressed that I figured their greatness was behind em. So with this new EP am I correct?


Beyond The Bestial features three new cuts, one being an instrumental, and (wait for it......) three re-worked cuts from Mysticism. The songs in question are "Winterfall", "In the Cold Embrace of Mist" and "Red Mirrors". Now I'm not going to knock em because those songs are great. As for the new cuts well to me the instrumental is a throwaway cut so forget it.


The opener and title cut, "Beyond the Bestial", is dark melodic, somewhat symphonic and is definitely representative of the band's more modern progressive take. Ever since Jurgis, who also plays in NOKTURNAL MORTUM, joined KHORS the band has really dived deep into a more depressive atmospheric BM style. Their other new cut "Through the Realm of Unborn Stars" is a perfect example. As far as the re-recordings go, well since Jurgis has taken over the band it's easy to guess what happened to them. Oh well I guess I'm just pining for the pagan vast-lands.


http://www.ashen-dominion.com/

https://khors1.bandcamp.com/album/beyond-the-bestial-ep

https://www.facebook.com/Khorsband


No comments: